Sunday, March 20, 2016

Second Grade Opinion/Persuasive Writing

Hello!

It's been 7 months since I last posted ANYTHING. I'm sorry! I've been keeping up with Instagram and Facebook though. You can connect with me here:
https://www.facebook.com/firstgradeflair/https://www.instagram.com/firstgradeflair/ 

 I've made the switch to second grade. So far, it is absolutely terrific. I have the SWEETEST class! They are a joy to teach.  We just wrapped up a 3 month unit on opinion and persuasive writing. It was a blast to teach. This year, I've been religious about using mentor texts to help model the type of writing we are doing.

These are the 9 mentor texts that anchored my opinion/persuasive writing unit.
I get a lot of questions about how my one hour of writer's workshop is set up. Here is a breakdown (I receive RTI and ELL support from 3 other teachers during this time. I can't tell you how amazing these ladies are! They are the backbone of my writing program.)

10:10 to 10:15: Brain Break (I love GoNoodle!)
10:15 to 10:30: Mentor Text Read Aloud/Discussion (Each book takes us 1-2 weeks to get through).
10:30 to 10:40 Grammar/language game or activity
10:45 to 11:15: The students work in small groups with a teacher on their writing. If they're done with a brainstorm or rough draft, they are to quietly get a writing task card to work on.

I was in desperate need of an opinion writing unit. I put one together that is inspired by the mentor texts above, while at the same time general enough to use if you do not have a specific book! This unit saved my sanity! Take a look:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Opinion-Persuasive-Writing-Unit-Common-Core-Aligned-2376202 

We will be starting our informational/non fiction writing after spring break. I can't wait to let you know how it goes! Until then! 

- The First Grade Flair 




No comments:

Post a Comment