Friday, November 7, 2014

No Nonsense November

Is it really November? I was running off a turkey addition page and thought to myself, "It's too early for this!"

I always enjoy November and December because things start to "click" in first grade. We did an assessment today and I had mentioned to the students several times that it would be "tricky" and to just try their best.

Well the assessment was done when one of my little sweeties said, "The hard part never came!"

It was one of those times where my heart felt super happy.

Speaking of happy, guess who managed to leave their work, at work this weekend? This girl right here!

We have a very busy week ahead of us next week! We are right in the middle of assessment season and I'm constantly looking for ways to keep things engaging. I have a very young class this year and most of us are JUST turning 6!

Between activities, we are doing brain breaks using the free website: Gonoodle.com. They have a great blend of calming, energizing, and everything in between when it comes to ways to get the wiggles out.

https://www.gonoodle.com/home

We are going to be doing a character study unit on "The Littlest Pilgrim" starting next week.
We read "Turkey Trouble" this week too!


Next week we will be doing a bunch of fun activities from my Turkey Trouble Common Core Unit!  

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Turkey-Trouble-Common-Core-Activity-Set-1526223

 Tom the Turkey will be the focus of our exploration of character traits!

In math we are exploring place value and addition to 20.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Turkey-Trouble-Common-Core-Activity-Set-1526223
We are going to use the Turkey Trouble addition color by number as an independent math by myself choice during Math workshop.

Next week, I'll be discussing math workshop and how I've modified it to work with 30 first graders at very different levels of mathematical understanding.

Until then,





No comments:

Post a Comment