Friday, October 31, 2014

Halloween in First Grade

Happy Halloween! I had a blast (a very tiring one) celebrating Halloween with my little pumpkins today!

We started the morning off with labeling pumpkins and putting treats away for the afternoon. This isn't even half of it. I'm pretty glad it's a Friday and that by Monday, they will have all this sugar out of their system.






I have to give them credit though, we managed to get everyone's pumpkins labeled, treats put away, folders and homework checked, and morning work in 15 minutes. Pretty impressive!

For Daily 5, we read "Splat and the Pumpkin Picking Plan." We then retold the story using a beginning, middle, and end graphic organizer. This year we can't get enough Splat! Last year they loved the Little Old Lady Who..books.

We also did a Halloween safety sorting activity. This page came from my Second Grade Halloween Math & ELA Unit.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Second-Grade-Halloween-Packet-Common-Core-Aligned-923602
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Second-Grade-Halloween-Packet-Common-Core-Aligned-923602

We also had an hour long Halloween celebration. We decorated pumpkins, passed out treats, and watch "The Cat in the Hat: Tricks and Treats."



But that is not all...we also did math AFTER the party and everyone was pretty focused despite the excitement! We practiced addition within 10 using these adorable pumpkin pails and cauldrons. Each had a sum on it and the popsicle sticks had the equations.


I'm pretty sure we did a million other things too! Halloween is my favorite holiday and it probably showed in my lessons this week!

I came home with close to 100 pieces of candy somehow. Let's see how many are left by Monday.

I'll be blogging about some of my favorite November activities soon!

Until then,


No comments:

Post a Comment