Saturday, October 4, 2014

It's October! Really?!

I can't believe it is October already!

We have been very busy in our classroom. It explains my lack of blogging recently.

My students are having a blast learning how to be first graders. They are also enjoying partner work, a whole lot!

Last week, we did a sorting activity about past and present. I have a large population of ELLs and wanted to facilitate a chance for them to have a discussion using the vocabulary past and present. I took the time to make the picture cards to sort. The students benefited from identifying the objects in the picture such as "phone, airplane, and even dinosaurs." I loved how everything came together.


As far as planning for October, I am looking forward to using the following Math and ELA seasonal resources. My birthday is in October and I just adore everything about the month! Halloween is my favorite holiday and this is apparent within 5 minutes of visiting my classroom. My October must-haves:
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/First-Grade-Halloween-Math-ELA-Activities-856568
I use the First Grade Halloween Math & ELA Activities Set which is Common Core Aligned for homework and math stations.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/There-Was-an-Old-Lady-Who-Swallowed-Some-Leaves-Math-ELA-Activity-Set-1377061

  I love the Little Old Lady! We read the book "There was an Old Lady who Swallowed Some Leaves." Next, we worked on sequencing the story. This week we will use the packet to do syllable counting and some math patterning. The packet can be found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment